Dal Makhani – a classic Indian dish, made with some of the healthiest ingredients is one of the country’s favorites. It is made with urad dal, rajma, some rich Indian spices and butter. It’s rich,
creamy, ﬂavorful, delicious taste will keep you wanting more. Here’s how you can make the tastiest Dal Makhani at home –
1. Urad Dal and Red kidney beans – For 1 cup Urad dal, use a quarter cup of Rajma. You can also use Chana dal for the texture.
2. Cooking Cream – You can use the cooking cream, or also homemade cream, and blend it well until it is smooth in texture.
3. Dried Fenugreek leaves or Kasuri Methi – A small quantity of the methi leaves makes a big difference in the dish.
1. Firstly, soak the rajma and also the urad dal for around 6 to 8 hours before you start cooking.
2. Once they are soaked, add 4 cups of water to 1 cup urad dal, and put it in a pressure cooker, and medium heat it. Wait for 10 whistles, which generally takes upto 40 minutes. Make sure the dal
becomes tender, if not, add more water as required.
3. While the dal cooks, chop some onions, add some ginger garlic paste, tomatoes and put it in the blender to make a puree.
4. Now to make the masala, add some butter and ghee in the pan and heat it. Add spices according to what you wish – 1 bay leaf, 1 black cardamom, and 2 green cardamoms. Now add the onions and saute them, until they turn light brown.
5. Now add the puree which was made earlier, and saute for a while. Add a teaspoon of salt, chili
powder, 1 spoon garam masala. Adjust the spices according to your taste. Now saute this until the masala brings a good smell.
6. Add the dal that has been cooked in this tomato puree masala, slow cook and stir. Add a cup of water and let everything cook in a lower heat for around 30 minutes. Continue this twice, till the dal is soft and thick.
7. Once this is done, add creme on top and your dal Makhani is ready to serve.
Make sure you use a generous amount of butter and creme as it is one of the main ingredients in this.
We hope you enjoy this recipe, made at your homes.